Hello guys! In this blog, We gonna see about DARK-WEB
4 min read
WHAT IS THE DARK WEB?
The dark web is the World Wide Web content that exists on darknets. It refers to content that isn’t indexed by search engines and requires special software or authorization to access it.
It can be accessed only by a particular browser or through specific network configurations. Through the dark web, private computer networks can communicate and conduct business anonymously without divulging identifying information, such as a user's location.
The dark internet is designed to provide anonymity by keeping communication private through encryption and routing online content through multiple web servers.
THE THREE WEB SURFACES:
surface web includes publicly searchable websites (blogs, shopping sites, news sites, YouTube).
deep web consists of sites that require login to access (email, banking portals, subscription services).
dark web requires special tools to access, like Tor Browser and isn’t indexed by search engines.
THE HISTORY OF DARK WEB:
The release of Freenet in
2000 is often cited as the beginning of the dark web. The thesis project of Ian Clarke, a student at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, Freenet was intended as a way to anonymously communicate, exchange files, and interact online.
2002, the dark web grew significantly when researchers supported by the US Naval Research Laboratory built and released the Tor network. At the time, the internet was still young, and tracking people was easy while staying anonymous was not. The Tor network was created to open safe communication channels for political dissidents and American intelligence operatives around the world.
DARK WEB TOOLS AND SERVICES:
Dark-web browsing is not ordinary browsing but it requires some sort of tools to access it. Dark web search engines and forums like Reddit can help you find reliable dark websites, and you’ll need to use a dark web browser to visit them.
TOR browser is used in accessing the Dark-web.
- Tor, short for The Onion Router, is free and open-source software for enabling anonymous communication.
- It directs Internet traffic through a free, worldwide, volunteer overlay network, consisting of more than six thousand relays, to conceal a user's location and usage from anyone performing network surveillance or traffic analysis.
- Using Tor makes it more difficult to trace a user's Internet activity.
- Tor's intended use is to protect the personal privacy of its users, as well as their freedom and ability to communicate confidentially through IP address anonymity using Tor exit nodes.
WHAT IS ONION ROUTING?
Onion routing is a technique that is used for anonymous communication over a computer network. In this type of routing, messages are encapsulated in layers of encryption, analogous to layers of an onion.
HOW DOES THE DARK-WEB WORK?
Originally used by the United States Department of Defense to communicate anonymously, the dark web has now become a hub for users wishing to remain anonymous around the world.
People use the dark web for both legal and illegal purposes.
It uses a technology called "onion routing," which protects users from surveillance and tracking through a random path of encrypted servers.
When users access a site through Tor, their information is routed through thousands of relay points that cover the user's tracks and make their browsing virtually impossible to trace.
APPLICATIONS OF THE DARK WEB:
- It is widely used by the internal sites of major companies, associations, and trade organizations
- The school, college, and university intranet systems use this to access online databases
- Password-protected secure websites with strict members-only access
- You can access some individual accounts for social media, email, banking, and more.
- It is also used for social media, blogging, text, and voice chat.
- To find hidden Yahoo Answers.
- Provide public records and certificates, and library system indexes.
- Used for computer and technology skills classes and courses.
Thank you all, hope you guys have some info on the dark web. If you have any queries please post them in the comment section.